- 1 head cabbage
- 1 tbsp. caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp. coarse kosher or sea salt
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp.
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 247mg
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 0g
- Rinse cabbage and then cut into quarters, removing stem.
- Add approximately 2 cups cabbage to WildSide+ jar, and add enough water to cover cabbage. Secure lid and press “Pulse” 8–12 times or until desired texture is reached.
- Drain water, and place cabbage in large bowl. Repeat with remaining cabbage.
- Add caraway seeds and salt to cabbage, and mix with hands.
- Allow cabbage to sit for at least 20 minutes, and then place cabbage in crock or large plastic or glass container.
- Cover with plate or plastic wrap, and then top with stone, bag of marbles, or extra dishes to ensure all cabbage is submerged in water mixture.
- Place crock or container in dark, cool place, and allow to ferment for at least 6 weeks. Approximately once a week, check cabbage and remove scum off top.
- Once desired taste is achieved, place in airtight container in refrigerator, where sauerkraut will keep up to 6 months.
If you're in the mood for a flavor variation, try the following ingredients:
1 head cabbage
2 apples, quartered and chopped
½ tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp coarse kosher or sea salt
Add apple quarters to jar, and pulse 6 times. Then, follow instructions above, adding pulsed apples to pulsed cabbage.