Smoky Sweet Potato & Bacon SoupThis recipe comes from Michelle Smith of thewholesmiths.com. Chili powder and smoked paprika are the perfect seasonings to complement the smoky, roasted sweet potatoes in this delicious fall recipe that features a buttery flavor swirl drizzled over the top.
sweet potatoes or yams
slices of bacon
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and dice them into 1-inch pieces. In a single layer arrange sweet potatoes in baking dish (you will probably need two baking dishes).
- Quarter onion and add to a separate roasting pan. Add garlic cloves to onion. Drizzle olive oil over sweet potatoes, onions and garlic, coating well.
- Sprinkle sweet potatoes, onions and garlic with salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle smoked paprika and chili powder over sweet potatoes only, toss to coat.
- Bake each dish at 400°F for 30 minutes.
- Cut bacon strips into bite-size pieces and cook on medium-high until crispy. Remove bacon from grease and set aside.
- After vegetables have roasted for 30 minutes, toss them to ensure even cooking and return to oven for 20 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, add two cups of chicken broth to your WildSide+ or FourSide jar. Once the vegetables are done roasting, add them to the chicken broth in the jar and select "Soup" or "Hot" or "90" cycle or blend on a High speed for 90 seconds.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into large stockpot. Add the remaining chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer soup for 10 minutes and add bacon.
- Make the flavor swirl by combining last 4 ingredients (butter, 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika, 1 tbsp chili powder and maple syrup) in a small saucepan and heat until thoroughly melted.
- Serve soup in a bowl and drizzle the flavor swirl on top.
- Servings 12.0
- Sodium 930 mg
- Serving Size 3/4 cup
- Carbohydrates 10 g
- Calories 120
- Fiber 2 g
- Fat 9 g
- Sugar 3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Protein 2 g
- Cholesterol 15 mg
Signup for our email list and receive recipes, tips & an occasional marketing message.