This traditional white bread is easy to make and sure to please.
Total time: 4 H
- 2 tbsp. butter melted
- 2 oz. compressed yeast
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 qt. lukewarm water
- 3 qt. sifted all-purpose flour
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Sodium: 112mg
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 2g
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In small bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand 10 minutes.
- Add proofed yeast, sugar, butter, salt, and ½ of flour to Mix n Blend II mixing bowl. Select "Bowl" button, select "Bread" cycle and press "Start/Stop" button.
- Gradually add remaining flour until dough clings to dough hooks and pulls away from sides of bowl; this mixing period should last 3–4 minutes. Press "Start/Stop."
- Then, press "Auto Knead" button; kneading will automatically stop when gluten is fully developed.
- Place in greased bowl, cover, and set aside in moderately warm place, free from drafts, until light—about 1½ hours.
- Shape into loaves. Place in 4 well-greased bread pans. Cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Bake for 45–60 minutes.
For a richer bread, use milk in place of part or all of water.