Honey Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
This slightly sweet, whole-grain bread is hearty and satisfying.
Total time: 30 S
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp. instant yeast
- 1/4 cup honey divided
- 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tbsp. vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 200mg
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 5g
- Add flour, salt, and vital wheat gluten to WildSide+ jar in order listed and secure lid. Press "Pulse" 3–5 times to mix and sift dry ingredients.
- Pour dry ingredients into a separate bowl.
- Add water, yeast and 1 tbsp honey to jar and secure lid. Press "Pulse" 2 times. Allow the yeast to proof 5–10 minutes.
- Add remaining honey, oil, and lemon juice to jar and secure lid. Press "Pulse" 2 times.
- Add ⅓ of dry ingredients to jar and secure lid. Press "Pulse" 2–3 times. Add next ⅓ of dry ingredients to jar and secure lid. Press “Pulse” 4-6 times. Add the last ⅓ of dry ingredients to jar and secure lid. Press "Pulse" 6–8 times until all flour is incorporated and a dough ball forms.
- Allow dough to rest in jar for 10–15 minutes. Dump dough ball onto oiled surface and shape loaf.
- Place shaped loaf, seam side down, into 9"x 5" greased loaf pan. Cover loaf pan and allow dough to rise for 20 minutes in a warm place or until dough has topped the pans by approximately one inch.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-22 minutes, then increase temperature to 400 degrees and bake until top is golden brown.
- Remove bread from pan and allow it to cool on a wire rack before slicing.
I tried to sub the diastatic malt powder in place of the gluten but just like Karla my blender says "Over Tempurature" and yes, I am using the wild side jar.
Could this be done in the 4 sided jar?
The bread I made was great and I still make it. Works fine for me !
Malt powder is a sugar and vital wheat gluten is a a starch. I don’t think that is a good substitution. I might suggest using some bread flour to replace some of the WW flour…maybe 1/2-1 cup.
This is a great bread and I do it with my own flour. Instead of vital wheat gluten I use a teaspoon of diastatic malt powder. This gives it a light brown crust and the bread is so smooth you wouldn’t believe. Never tried with the lemon juice. Next time I will !
Leave a comment