Total time: 50 M
- 1 tbsp. active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp. applesauce or canola oil
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 tbsp. vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2.66 cups wheat berries
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 398mg
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 9g
- Protein: 7g
- Add wheat berries to Kitchen Mill, and grind into flour; set aside.
- Add water, yeast, and honey to WildSide+ jar and secure lid. Press "Pulse" 2 times. Allow yeast to proof for 5–10 minutes.
- Add salt, applesauce or oil, and vital wheat gluten to jar. Secure lid and pulse 2 times.
- Add one third of milled flour to jar, secure lid, and pulse 1 time. Add another third of the flour, secure lid and pulse 3–5 times. Add last third of flour, secure lid, and pulse 8–10 times or until all flour is incorporated and dough ball forms. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Turn dough onto floured board, and knead for 1 minute. With your thumbs, make a hole in center of dough; place in mixing bowl that has been sprinkled with flour. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled.
- Place dough on lightly floured board; roll and stretch dough into 8-inch circle. Place on baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, and set aside to rise until puffy, about 10 minutes. Spritz with cooking spray, and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Just before baking, press fingertips into dough to make deep dimples.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown. Tear into chunks, or serve in wedges.
When sprinkling flatbread with coarse salt, consider adding one of the following combinations:
Onion: Separate 1 large yellow or white onion into rings, and sauté in 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil. Arrange on flatbread, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon fresh or dried parsley and black pepper to taste.
Garlic-Parmesan: Combine ¼ cup dried Parmesan cheese, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder; sprinkle on flatbread.
Black olive: Arrange 1 cup sliced black olives and ¾ cup chopped tomatoes on flatbread. Combine ½ teaspoon chili powder, ¼ teaspoon cumin, and black pepper to taste; sprinkle on flatbread. Top with 1 cup shredded cheese.
Apple cinnamon: Spread ¾ cup applesauce on flatbread. Arrange 1 apple, thinly sliced, on top of applesauce. Sprinkle with ¼ cup turbinado sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.