The holiday season is nearly upon us, and for many, that means one thing: turkey! This majestic bird holds a special place on dining tables around the world. Whether it's for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or just a festive family feast, cooking a turkey can be an art. Here's our guide on five different ways to prepare turkey, paired with the magic of Blendtec for those delicious sauces.
1. Roast - The Classic Method
Roasting a turkey is the most traditional method many turn to. This method results in a golden-brown, crispy exterior while preserving a juicy, tender inside. The oven's consistent heat slowly cooks the bird, allowing its natural flavors to shine. To accompany this classic, a Creamy Gravy made in your Blendtec blender using pan drippings and seasonings is a must-have sidekick.
- 2 cups turkey broth
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, arrowroot powder, or wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- sea salt, to taste
2. Smoke - For the Flavor Adventurist
Smoked turkey evokes the aromas of the great outdoors. By using various wood chips, you can introduce a range of smoky flavors to the meat, making it a hit among those who crave a deeper, wood-infused taste. Pair your smoked turkey with a Smoky Chipotle Cranberry Sauce, blending cranberries with smoky chipotle peppers for a spicy, tangy twist.
Smoky Chipotle Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 12 oz (about 3 cups) fresh cranberries, washed and drained
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (adjust based on heat preference)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice (preferably fresh-squeezed)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
3. Braised - For the Tender-lover
Braising breaks down the turkey's tougher fibers, resulting in incredibly tender and flavorful meat. Immersed in a flavorful liquid with herbs and aromatics, the turkey pieces absorb all the goodness while cooking. A Silky Onion Gravy, blending caramelized onions with broth, complements the savory flavors of the braised turkey seamlessly.
Silky Onion Gravy Ingredients
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 2 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup red or white wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional for garnish)
4. Deep Fried - For the Crisp Affectionate
A deep-fried turkey offers unparalleled crispiness. The bird is quickly cooked in hot oil, sealing in the juices while achieving a mouth-wateringly crispy skin. Enhance this crunch with a Garlic Aioli, effortlessly crafted in your Blendtec, offering a creamy and garlicky dimension.
- 1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp. dried dill
- 1/4 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
5. Grilled - A Twist on Tradition
Grilling the turkey introduces those beloved char marks and a slightly smoky flavor. The bird gets a caramelized exterior, with subtle hints of the grill's open flame. To round off this method, a Tangy Barbecue Sauce from your Blendtec, boasting a medley of sweet, spicy, and smoky notes, works wonders.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
No matter how you choose to cook your turkey this festive season, make it special with a homemade sauce whipped up in your Blendtec. It's a game-changer for any feast.