Making healthy food choices can be difficult during the holidays when you're bombarded with traditional high-fat, high-calorie foods. But that doesn't mean you should abandon all efforts to eat healthily. Below are a few tips to help you eat well while enjoying holiday foods and family time.
What tips to you have to eat healthy during the holidays?
- Eat prior to the event. If the event is later in the day, be sure to eat breakfast and lunch so you are less likely to overeat later.
- Use a small plate for built-in portion control. You'll feel satisfied that you've filled your plate, but you'll consume less food.
- Fill up on fiber-rich foods, such as fruits and vegetables.
- Enjoy every bite. Eat slowly and savor the taste of your favorite holiday foods.
- Eat only when hungry. Before going for seconds, determine whether you're actually hungry.
- Log what you eat. Use a food diary, a web program or a phone/tablet application to keep track of everything you eat and how many calories you consume
|Instead of this...||Try this...|
|1 c lard||
|1 c shortening or butter||
|1 c whole milk||
|1 c cream||
|1 c whipping cream (to use as desert topping)||
|1 oz cream cheese||
|1 c sour cream||
|1 c salad dressing||
|1 c mayonnaise||