For those of you who have followed my blog for awhile, you will know that I LOVE making my own all-natural health and beauty products! It's satisfying to know you're using things that are so good for your face, skin, hair, nails, and so forth. Not to mention it's FUN! I recently ran across this great idea from my sister Rebecca's website Camp Wander. It's so brilliantly simple, I can't believe I never thought of it before!
Coconut Oil and Honey Blend!
Why are these two ingredients so wonderful? Well, allow me to enlighten you!
Honey has anti-viral and anti-microbial properties. It’s widely recognized for it’s ability to calm a cough and is found in many over-the-counter remedies. Local honey is also helpful for allergies. If finding local honey isn't an option for you, choose raw and organic. I like Tropical Traditions honey from Canada, but you can find it at your local health food store as well.
Coconut oil is one of the richest sources of Lauric Acid. Lauric Acid is a saturated fat found in breast milk and is packed with immunity-building properties. Studies have shown that coconut oil is helpful for hypothyroid and diabetes and can even slow the progression of Alzheimer’s. I use Tropical Traditions coconut oil because it’s hand processed, but you can find virgin coconut oil in your local health food store.
For all the information on coconut oil you will ever need to know, CLICK HERE. Each of these ingredients are powerhouses in their own right, but combined they make an unbeatable base for a myriad of homemade remedies.
- By adding a drop of lemon essential oil to a spoonful of the honey/coconut base you have a great remedy for a cough.
- Add a drop of lemon and a drop of oregano essential oil for soothing a sore throat.
- Coconut oil and honey are both excellent for your skin as well, including helping clear up acne. Both are very hydrating and healing. Apply a layer of the mixture all over your face and allow to set for up to ½ hour. (Just enough time for a nice, hot bath!) Then wash it off. Your skin will feel so soft!
- It's also great in protein shakes and smoothies! I love spreading it on toast! Taking coconut oil internally on a regular basis is a good habit to get into.
I could go on and on, and I bet you could think of some great ideas too! Feel free to share in the comments below! So why am I talking about this on the Blendtec blog today? Because I've found my Blendtec is the perfect way to combine these two perfect ingredients!
How To Make Your Own Coconut Oil & Honey Remedy Base
- 1 cup softened coconut oil
- ½ to 1 cup honey (I use a generous ½ cup)
Add the coconut oil and honey to your Blendtec. Blend until mixed, but don’t over blend. You may see small spots of honey after the combination hardens, but that’s just fine.
Pour into a glass jar. It will take a few hours to "set up," but then it will be the perfect consistency for scooping out with a spoon or your fingers. Refrigeration isn’t necessary unless you live in a hot climate and prefer it in a more solid state. I hope you will try this amazingly versatile and powerful combination! You can use the coupon code "jillee" to get 10% any Spark Naturals essential oils order.