I’m not sure if I missed the band wagon, or if it’s just getting going, but I’ve heard a lot about coconut oil lately. So, I thought I’d write a blog post about some of the unique uses I’ve seen for coconut oil.
1. Coconut oil freezer pops: Using coconut oil adds an extra dimension of delicious flavor to freezer pops, makes them melt less quickly, and makes them healthier. Try this Coconut Berry Delights recipe to find out what I mean.
2. Coconut oil toothpaste: Mix together a little coconut oil, baking soda, and peppermint oil, and you’ll have an all-natural toothpaste that tastes great. Here’s a link to the full Coconut Oil Toothpaste recipe.
3. Coconut oil deodorant: I haven’t tried making coconut oil deodorant, so I can’t vouch for its effectiveness, but the idea is interesting. This Coconut Oil Deodorant recipe is similar to the toothpaste recipe: just mix together coconut oil, baking soda, arrowroot powder, and some essential oils. If you use too much or don’t let it soak in fully, you can get oily spots on your clothes, so be careful with this one.
4. Coconut oil sunscreen: Some people tout coconut oil as a homemade sunscreen. However, researchers have found that coconut oil provides only minimal sun protection. Whereas SPF 15 sunscreen blocks around 94% of UV rays, coconut oil blocks only about 20% of UV rays. Your best bet is to stick with a normal sunscreen and to use coconut oil as a moisturizer. (Coconut oil is good for soothing sunburned skin, but you’re less likely to burn in the first place if you use traditional sunscreen).
5. Coconut oil face wash: Coconut oil can also be used as a natural makeup remover and face wash. Simply scoop about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into your hands to warm it up. Then, gently massage it onto your face, rinse with water, and pat your face dry with a towel. Not only is coconut oil a soothing cleanser, but it may also help with acne.
Though my family mainly uses coconut oil for cooking and smoothies, I’m looking forward to trying out some of these other uses. In what unique ways do you use coconut oil?
Photo courtesy of VeganBaking.net.