Today is National Piña Colada Day. The piña colada originated in Puerto Rico in the 1950’s, and has become popular worldwide. The term “piña colada”, is Spanish for “strained pineapple”, which makes sense, since the drink traditionally calls for pineapple juice, light rum, and coconut cream. Of course, like most recipes, you can always change it up and add your own twist – we’ve done just that. A piña colada is no longer just a drink, we’ve created several delicious tropical piña colada treats. Let us know what your favorite is in the comments below.
3 fl oz light rum
1⁄3 cup coconut milk
3 tbsp agave nectar
11⁄2 cups pineapple chunks
2 cups ice cubes
- Add ingredients to FourSide or WildSide+ jar in order listed. Secure lid and select Ice Crush (or blend on a Medium to Medium-Low speed for 30-40 seconds. Keep an eye on it as to not over- or under-blend.)
1⁄4 cup half and half (half milk/half cream)
3 oz sweetened condensed milk
1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
1⁄4 tsp fresh lemon juice
1⁄2 cup fresh flaked coconut
1⁄2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
2 cups whole milk cubes (about 1 tray of frozen milk)
- Add ingredients to jar in order listed and secure lid. Select Ice Cream cycle (or blend on a Low speed for 15 seconds, then blend on a Medium High speed for 30 seconds.)
- If more blending is required, press Pulse several times until desired texture is achieved.
3⁄4 cup cream of coconut
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks, divided
4 oz light rum
21⁄2 cups ice cubes
1⁄4 cup fresh flaked coconut
1 tbsp lime zest
- Add cream of coconut, ½ cup pineapple chunks, rum, and ice cubes to jar in order listed. Secure lid and select Ice Crush (or blend on a Medium to Medium-Low speed for 30-40 seconds.)
- Pour mixture into ice-pop molds, filling ¾ full.
- Mix together remaining pineapple chunks, coconut flakes, and lime zest; and add to molds.
- Freeze ice pops until solid.
2⁄3 cup full-fat coconut milk
1⁄2 small banana
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
4 tsp agave nectar
101⁄2 oz frozen pineapple chunks, approximately 2½ cups
2⁄3 cup ice cubes, approximately 5-6 ice cubes
- Add ingredients to FourSide jar in order listed and secure lid. Select Ice Cream and serve (or blend on a Low speed for 15 seconds, then blend on a Medium to Medium-High speed for 30 seconds.)